Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

What I'm reading....

Although it was not my intention when I picked it up, it seems I'm being a bit counter-cultural among my friends by reading Victor Hugo's 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame', instead of 'Les Miserables'. :)
I'm not really far enough into it to have an opinion, but I do have some, notwithstanding, (thanks to my despicable habit of reading ahead). :)
I don't like Phoebus, first of all. He's a lout once his habits get unfolded. Esmeralda is still somewhat of a mystery to me...what's she after? (Besides Phoebus, poor girl.) Quasimodo is tragically stoic (at least that's the impression I'm getting,) Frollo strikes me about the same as he did after I saw Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame, (which I like, by the way, even though it's nothing like the book.) Like my character Governor Andellan in Points of Light, Frollo represents a great mind that has reached too far and has finally come up empty. Not a good situation.

One character I'm still in the dark about is Pierre Gringoire. The story keeps coming back to him, but I have no idea what part he will play in the grand scheme of things...time will tell.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that Frollo's relationship with Quasimodo is very different than in the Disney movie. In the book, his adoption of the hunchback is a real act of charity, (done on Frollo's younger brother's behalf.) The aspect of Frollo's relationship with his brother is another huge wedge between the evil, conniving Frollo of the film, and the Frollo who you meet at the beginning of the book. (Though you quickly see him become as he is in the movie, as he becomes obsessed with Esmeralda.)

3 comments:

Anna Olivia said...

The Hunchback is definitely a book I'd be interested in reading. =)

Michaela said...

AWESOME! - I'm counter-cultural too...I haven't read Les Miz all the way through, and I'm happy with that. ;) Keep us updated on The Hunchback. Sounds like an interesting book.

Unknown said...

I look forward to hearing how Hunchback ends! :D

Les Miserables is very good, and should be read by all *true* Les Miz fans...but only read it when you are good and ready...cause otherwise it will bore you to death. ;)