Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"Still Geeking Out About It." (Part I)

I had waited for last Saturday for two years. Of course, I didn't know that it would be last Saturday, so the day came on me as a complete surprise.
"What's he talking about?" you may be wondering.

Well, last Saturday, we traveled down to Dublin, Ohio and met with the Bashaws!
To fill in the back story, I met Michael Bashaw, the oldest of four siblings on Narniaweb's forum in late 2006/early 2007. I don't remember the exact date that we met, but I know that it was a great blessing. We sent each other private messages on the forum for a while before, before graduating to e-mail. As time passed, we sent each other our projects, and we became instant fans of their movies, Dinner Thief, The Chocolate Lord and its sequel, to name a few.:-)
Then over the past year or so, my younger siblings had begun writing (my sisters and brothers, respectively) to Leah and Nathan, Michael's youngest siblings.
I've got to say that Michael has been a great friend to me since I've known him, and I thank God for giving me the opportunity of getting to know him.
We talked about how fun it would be to meet in person "some day," and I always hoped that we could. By that time, all my siblings shared this desire, having been writing to the Bashaws for a while. It was strange, because we had become so well acquainted, and it felt like we had known them for a long time, which really, I guess we did, even though we'd never met.
Alright, now we're up to speed, and I can get back to last Saturday.

With my birthday approaching, I had proposed the idea to my parents of inviting the Bashaws over for my birthday (I reasoned it was as good an excuse to meet them as any other.) I didn't really get a definite answer, and I didn't really push it too hard...notice I say I didn't push it too hard.:-) Anyway, Friday evening, my dad announced that we were going to be heading to Upper Sandusky to meet Grammy Pieplow and visit Daddy's Uncle Paul and Aunt Beaulah who both live up there on the following day. This did not excite a very enthusiastic response from us, but I think we all behaved well - no one complained about the idea, and we all went to bed anticipating the long drive (about three hours) planned for the next day.

Saturday morning we got up and had breakfast, and left around 10:00 AM, an hour later than we were planning to. Ah well, no use crying over spilled milk. We set out, prepared - (let me just define this word, "prepared". This means that some of us (myself included) were carrying bags that from the outside appeared to hold our luggage for a two day trip) - for the drive ahead of us. It was about 2 1/2 to 3 hours later when we executed a series of turn-arounds, going from one development to another. This happened twice or three times, before we got back on the right track, and I saw the first Dublin sign. I initially dismissed this, quelling my inner hopes about what was actually at the end of the trip. A few minutes later, as we turned onto Bashaws' street, I couldn't deny it anymore. I started feeling that strange lifting sensation...you know - when you realize you are walking into a very carefully planned surprise, and its something you've wanted for a long time. Which pretty much describes this situation.:-)

The Bashaw family came out the door, and of course, I was the first one of the Peeplets out of the van...(My parents were already out) I think my siblings were still a little stunned.:-) As was I, but I just had to get out! I walked up the driveway, and yes, this scene is stamped on my memory...so don't get bored by the details.:-) ...I don't have time to go into the details, so it will have to wait for later...

4 comments:

Tory Sherrill said...

How neat!!! Did you take pics?

Caleb R. P. said...

We have pictures, and Michael is going to send me the pictures that they got, and I'll probably put some of those up here...including images of Michael, Andrew, Brandon and I in various humorous poses at McDonald's!:-)

Part two coming soon!

MichaelBashaw said...

Pictures are on their way! :-) Long post! And it's only Part 1! :D

Caleb R. P. said...

Yup! More to come, and I'll put the pictures in next!:-) Maybe if I forget some things, you can fill them in.;-)