I had woven the accounts of Matthew and Luke together with some prophecy and a tiny amount of added dialog narration, and put it all together into a stageplay script. I had worked on this script for a few weeks leading up to the day.
On Thursday night, Daddy brought home the long awaited curtains. They give our stage area a much more refined feel, I think, this is not the best picture imaginable...:-):
On the appointed day, I printed off the scrips and began to highlight parts.
This was a long and pretty daunting task, though actually it turned out to not be very hard.
Then at the set time, people started arriving, we had a spaghetti and meatball dinner, and then we went downstairs and set to work.
It took about an hour to decide what roles everyone would have, and after that we began the first run-through. This was very slow, and at times quite tedious, as we ran into stage direction problems, as we missed cues, as we generally had a rollicking good time.:)
Needless to say, we were in no way prepared. Mommy urged me to begin another quicker run-through, but by that point I didn't have the energy get everybody going again (probably due to the fact that I was trying to play a lead role and direct at the same time, which was not a good thing...)(one of the reasons why I was planning to not have a role in the play.:)).
Annie stepped in and ably, (very ably,) took charge and directed the second run-through. It was truly inspiring to watch her work. Especially to me, seeing as I didn't really have what was needed by then to do it. I can't overemphasize what a great thing this was!:)
She turned out to be quite adept at finding problems with (or lack of) stage directions in my script, which was very good. As we went along, she and I were able to confer on things she had noticed in the script, and add much needed revisions to the script. These would be added to the script for the actual performance.
Under Annie's direction we were able to make it pretty much through the second run-through, though Carmichaels had to leave. So between the people still there, we managed it.:)
I had no time to take pictures during, but Hannah did get some so here are a few...
The Casting process: "Does anyone want to be Balaam?":-)
Charlotte and Charlyn (Far left) were eager to volunteer for the roles of the angels.
Sam, (the innkeeper, and a magi), Ben, (Isaiah and Augustus) and Brooke (Mary) preparing for their roles. :)
Maggie - TP and CA (Tax Payer and Choir Angel)
Rachel (Narrator 1), Eva (Narrator 2), Annie (Director Emeritus and Narrator 3) and Nancy (Elizabeth) are visible in the background from left to right.
Chris (A faithful Roman Soldier. (with a cross on his breastplate, that's a little strange, I'll grant you. :-)))
When Herod gives his dastardly orders, his men are quick to obey:
Overall, everyone did very well, and I am really looking forward to the performance!
2 comments:
What a fun project!!! Is that duct tape I see covering the castle bricks? ;o) Were those pics of you writing posed? ;o)
No actually, the brick are foam covered in grey plastic. They came as packaging with print cartridges...handy, eh?
Yes, you've guessed it, they were posed.:)
Post a Comment