Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2008

More on the concert

Well here are the autograph scans, and you can read some about the 5 Browns on the page from the program:


About the concert:
I really enjoyed the program, ranging from The Grande Tarentelle by Gottschalk to the first movement of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, to selections from The Planets, to Saint-Seans' Danse Macabre.
Overall a great program. But besides the great music and the brilliance of the performance, I really liked the attitude of the players. I'm not sure if 'accessible' is the appropriate word, but that's the first word that comes to mind when I think of The 5 Browns. A lot of times going to see great musicians play, you get the feeling from them that they'd rather, as I said, "stay as far away from you mortals as I can." But I got the feeling from the Browns that you could just walk up to them and start talking to them. One of the five introduced each piece that was played, and at the intermission, before the second half began, they sat down in a row on the stage and had a Q&A session. (Something I'd never seen at a Tuesday Musical concert.) Then afterword they had a meet & greet(and autograph signing:))(Something that you don't see very often at Tuesday Musical concerts...) in the lobby. They had a totally down-to-earth attitude toward the audience, and they seemed to really be enjoying what they were doing. I remarked, "I like concerts where people talk to you." That's kind of a strange sentence, but really, not many classical performers that I've seen really interact much with the audience. With The 5 Browns, I think that they are fulfilling their mission to bring classical music to a younger generation, their generation.

2 comments:

BashawProductions said...

Cool! That's neat that you got your CD autographed. :-) They seem like a very interesting group!

Alyosha said...

Coolness. I really like the idea of exposing the unenlightened younger fold to classical music, without all the stereotypes that go along with it. Or something.

So glad to hear you're doing NaNo! Join the insanity. =D